Monday, March 1, 2010

I just HAD to write about this!

I have been struggling with something for a good couple of months now, and it's been eating me up inside. I admit, I have been a little depressed because of this. But everything changed an hour ago. Here it is:

Since we moved here, my husband Josh has really wanted for our boys to learn French, as I have as well, but not as much as Josh. We put Ethan into a local Belgium school here a little over a month ago, and it has been hard on my heart. They speak only French to him because most of the teachers can't speak English. This was what Josh wanted so that Ethan would be immersed in French and learn it quickly. Well, he has already done so well! His teachers told me (through a translator) that Ethan understands everything they say to him now. He cannot repeat it back to them, but he understands them and responds to them. I think this is amazing! I am so proud of him even though it has been such a hard time for my sweet little boy. Well the MAIN thing that has been eating at me (as mentioned in the first paragraph, sorry I got off track) is that Josh has been planning on moving Lucas into the same school after he finishes Kindergarten. We have had many conversations/arguments over this because I feel so strongly against it. I think it is a very different thing for a 3 year old to go to a nursery school and be immersed in French than it is a 6 year old to be taken away from learning his main language in the middle of it. Josh has stuck by wanting this though, and I have just been holding all of my feelings in.
Well, tonight everything changed. I think it is an answer to prayer. Josh and I were sitting on the couch talking and he asked me if I wanted to move back to Colorado. As I sat there thinking about it, there was only one thing that would make me want to move back right now, and that was the schooling issue. So, with my lower lip quivering, I told him the truth. I told him that the only thing that would make me want to go back now is the thought of Lucas having to start over everything he knows in a totaly different language. Then I bawled like a baby. Josh looked at me and said "Okay then, it is settled. Lucas will stay in the American school, and when Ethan gets to be old enough, we will switch him to the American school with Lucas." As easy as that! My friends, this is HUGE! Something changed in my husband to let him see how much this meant to me, and his heart was so tender about it. I was really at a loss for words.
Let me say this before I end this entry; I have a wonderful husband. He was wonderful even when we did not agree on this subject, and he is wonderful even when we have arguments. I did NOT want to imply that he was being a big meanie head about this whole thing and my opinion was just being ignored. That is not the case at all. We had had many discussions on this subject, and actually, a few of them I went away thinking that it would be fine for Lucas to attend a Belgium school. But I wanted to honor Josh's very strong wishes about this and so I mainly kept it all inside. So all I could do was pray about it. My friends, THIS is the point I am making. God cares even about the little things. The things that seem so petty and insignificant, He cares. He loves us so much and wants the best for us. I know that He heard my prayers from my mothers heart and He listened. He touched Josh somehow because (remember Josh is wonderful) bless his heart he is stubborn as a mule! It is not everyday that I actually see prayers answered so clearly. I feel sooooo happy right now! I feel like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. Thank you God for listening.

1 comment: